Your role at Ather
Key objectives of the position are:
To deliver high-quality legal services to Ather in India. Legal Counsel’s duties will be performed in a manner that will (1) support Ather’s business and growth objectives; and (2) promote ethical behavior and protect Ather from exposure to unacceptable legal risks.
Legal advice should be competent, practical (capable of implementation in local business environment), understandable and business sensitive. Timely responses are routinely required as is a proactive approach in areas such as legal training and leadership in Business Conduct; ensure that Ather complies with all the applicable laws and safeguards its reputation by conducting business in a fair and ethical manner.
What would you be working on?
• Ability to operate independently in the delivery of legal services.
• Sense of urgency, reliability, practicality and personal skills compatible with building trust with clients.
• Provision of support to in-house departments on major and complex legal matters, and playing an active role in the development and effectiveness of the legal department by sharing knowledge and experience.
• Working with the compliance team to implement corporate compliance procedures and processes.
• Working collaboratively with and supporting General Counsel on various activities in the legal function.
• Work effectively with external legal counsels in India on litigation matters and monitor their performance.
You would be working on?
1. Legal Counsel’s responsibilities involved in the provision of high quality, practical and responsive legal advice will include:
- a. requirement to work effectively with different levels of management and staff in the provision of day to day advice on a wide range of legal matters including corporate, competition, privacy, data protection, employment, real estate, marketing, consumer protection, environmental, health & safety, cybersecurity and other applicable laws, as well as on Govt. policies and initiatives on EVs in India.
- b. drafting, review, negotiation and finalization of contracts and agreements relating to business activities and operations of the company;
- c. handling commercial conveyancing for company - leases, licenses, property acquisition as required;
- d. managing disputes and litigation matters and instruction to and liaison with external solicitors;
- e. Design, implement and enforce company policies and processes to ensure compliance with applicable laws and regulations in India;
- f. to keep self and the clients up to date with developments in the relevant laws and regulations;
- g. encouraging adherence by others to corporate policies and procedures of legal nature;
2. Contribute, by using past experiences, to the functioning of the Corporate Legal Affairs group by:
- a) being able to handle complex matters independently while showing judgment and teamwork by raising and discussing issues of corporate importance to ensure consistent approach;
- b) playing an active role in day to day activities of the legal function, including development and implementation of local legal systems, processes and trainings.
3. Be sensitive to rapidly changing work and business priorities and have an adaptable and flexible approach to duties, and always be aware of corporate business priorities when prioritizing work.
4. To ensure that the above duties involving communication with others are performed in a timely, positive and constructive manner.
5. To meet and exceed agreed performance standards, goals and objectives.
What Skills and Experience do you need?
• 8 to 10 years of post-qualification legal experience
• Significant work experience in an in-house senior legal position in an MNC or a reputed company in India
• Law degree from premier law institute with good academic credentials
• Job related competencies:
• High ethical standards - Integrity and confidentiality
• Effective communication and active listening
• Thoroughness and attention to detail
• Proactive, pragmatic and solution oriented approach
• Problem solving & Decision making
• Work organisation & Priority management
• Collaborative and Interpersonal skills
The Position will report to the Executive Vice President & General Counsel at Bangalore.